Tikamgarh is one of the districts of Madhya Pradesh state of India. Tikamgarh district lies in the northern part of Madhya Pradesh.The early history of Tikamgarh district is however not chronicled, though as suggested by the numerous ruins of buildings and other old remains lies scattered at various places, viz Orchha, Garh Kudar, Prithvipur, Barana, Lidhoura, Digora, Mohangarg, Baldeogarh and Tikamgarh, it must be having a glorious past. The district was the part of vast empires successively ruled by the Mauryas, the Sungas and the imperial Guptas. It was in the first quarter of ninth century A.D., that Mannuka founded a new dynasty the Chandella dynasty in this area. Tikamgarh alongwith Khajuraho and Mahoba formed part of extensive Chandella Kingdom. The Khangras also held this region specially around Garh Kundar. The rising power of Bundelas in this region resulted into the downfall of the Khangras. The Orchha records trace the descent of the Bundela Kingdom of Orchha from Garh Kudar chiefs of Benaras Hemkaran, also known as Pancham Bundela.
The District takes its name from the headquarters town as Tihri, in Orchha State. In 1783 Raja Vikramajit shifted his capital from Orchha town to Tihri and renamed it Tikamgarh but it was officially recognised in 1887. The name adopted in the honour of Lord Krishna, Tikam being one of his appellations.
Tikamgarh District is located in the northern part of Madhya Pradesh. It forms the north-western part of Sagar District. It lies on the Bundelkhand Plateau between the Jamni, a tributary of Betwa and Dhasan rivers. It extends between the latitude 24 degree 26 minute and 25 degree 34 minute N and between 78 degree26 minute and 79 degree 21 minute Longitudes. The shape of district is triangular. The northern margin is very irregular. The maximum length of the district is about 119 Km. From North to South and width about 80 Km. Tikamgarh District is bounded by Chhatarpur district to east, Lalitpur district Uttar Pradesh to West, Jhansi to North and Sagar to South. The western and Eastern boundaries are formed by two big rivers.
Tikamgarh district is divided into six tehsils grouped into three sub divisions of Tikamgarh, Niwari and Jatara. The Tikamgarh sub division comprises Tikamgarh and Baldeogarh tehsils, Niwari and Prithvipur tehsil form Niwari Sub Division whereas Jatara sub division comprises of Jatara and Palera Tehsil. There are six development blocks namely Tikamgarh, Jatara, Baldeogarh, Palera, Niwari and Prithvipur.
Ahar: A Village of Baldeogarh tehsil Ahar lies on the side of Tikamgarh-Chhattarpur road at a distance of 25 Km. from the district headquarters of the district. Regular buses are available to reach this place. It is evidently an old village said to have been populated by Jamalpur Ahars, which was once an important Jain Centre. Several ruins, Old images and temples are located here. The Village contain three old Jain temples one of these temple have an image of Shantinath, having height 20 feet. A tank of Chadella days with a fine dam stands here.
Achroo Mata: A Village situated about 3 Km., west of Madia Village on Tikamgarh-Niwari road in the Prithvipur tehsil. The village stands on a hill. There is a well known temple of the Goddess of Achroo Mata. It is famous for a kund which is always filled with water and never dried irrespective of number of users. Every year on the occasion of Nav-Durga festival falling in the month of March-April (Chaitra), fair is organised under the supervision of Gram Panchyat.
Baldeogarh: The headquarters town of the Baldeogarh is a tehsil of the same name. It is situated on the Tikamgarh-Chhattarpur road at distance of 26 Km. from Tikamgarh. The massive rock fort standing above the beautiful tank Gwal-Sagar, presents a very pleasing sight. The fort is a very fine specimen of its class and one of the most picturesque in the region. A big old Gun is still placed in this fort. The town is known for its betel-leaf cultivation. The importance of town also lies in its famous temple of ' Vindhya Vasini Devi'. An annual seven days Vindhyavasani fair is held here in the month of Chaitra and attended by about 10,000 persons.
JATARA: The headquarter town of the tehsil of the same name is situated on the Tikamgarh-Mau-Ranipur road, at a distance of 40 Km. from Tikamgarh. The nearest railway station is Mau Ranipur (U.P.). It lies below the level of Madan Sagar Lake. The lake is long and broad. It retained by two dams of great length. These dams are built by the Chandella Chief Madan Varman(1129-67) after whom the leke is called Madan Sagar. The Canals of the lake flows through the heart of the town.The place is if considerable interest of containing many Muhammadan buildings, most, if not all the later Mughal style Shahjahan.
KUDAR - (Garh Kudar): It is one of the famous village of Niwari tehsil situated at a distance of 22 Km. on the Niwari-Senderi road. Buses are available to reach this place. Its importance lies in its having been the first place seized by the Bundelas from the Khangars. Kundar remained the capital of the State until 1539 when it was shifted to Orchha. On the top of a small hill stands a fort built by Maharaja Birsingh Dev. The temple of local Goddess Maha Maya Gridh Vasni stands here. There is a large tank held on the temple Goddess, which is called 'Singh Sagar'. A weekly market held on every Monday.
Kundeshwar: A important village situated 5 Km. south of Tikamgarh town on the bank of the Jamdar river. This place is famous for kundadev Mahadev temple. Ot is believed that Shiv Linga has emerged from Kunda . In the south of it there is beautiful picnic spot known as 'Barighar' and a beautiful waterfall known as 'Usha Water Fall'. The village possesses Achreological Museum and Vinobha Sansthan. Maharaja Birsingh deo established the Keshva Sahitya Sansthan which was partonized by Pandit Banarsidas Chaturvedi and Yaspal Jain during their stay at Kundeshwar.
Three big Melas held at Kundeshwar annually. An important fair attended by 50,000 persons held in pouse/Magh (January) on the occasion of Sankranti. Second held on the occasion of Basant Panchimi and third held on the Kartik Ekadasshi in the month of October/November.
Madkhera: A small village situated on the North-West of Tikamgarh town at a distance of about 20 Km.. The importance of this place lies in its famous SUN Temple. It entrance is from the east. SUN idol is placed here. The other main object of interest of the village is a temple of Vindhya Vasani Devi on the top of hill.
Niwari: The headquarter town of the Niwari tehsil of the same name, is situated on the Tikamgarh-Jhansi road, at a distance of about 80 Km. to north-west of Tikamgarh. Niwari is the only tehsil town which is connected by the rail and lies on the Jhansi-Manikpur section of the Central railway. In former days a small fort was there but was demolished by the Marathas. It possesses an temple of Khedapati Hanumanji.
Orchha: A village of Prithvipor tehsil, Orchha is situated on the Betwa river at a distance of about 13 Km. from tehsil headquarter. It is 15 Km. from Jhansi(U.P.). Orchha is linked by the rail on Jhansi-Manikpur section of the Central railway.
Orchha was the capital town of the state. It was founded by Maharaja Rudra Pratap Singh in 1531 A.D.. The name Orchha or Ondchha is traditionally derived from scoffing remark of a Rajput Chief who on visiting the site selected for capital town. On an island in the Betwa which has been surrounded by the battemented wall, and approached by a causeway over a fine bridge of fourteen arches, stands a huge palace fort mainly the work of Maharaja Bir Singh Dev. It consists of several connected buildings constructed at a different times. The finest of these are the Raj Mandir and Jahagir Mahal.
Orchha is famous religious centre of Hindus. It is known for its religious and cultural heritage. The following places are famous in the town. RAM RAJA TEMPLE , JAHAGIR MAHAL, CHATURBUJ TEMPLE, LAXMI TEMPLE, PHOOL BAGSHISH MAHAL, KANCHANA GHAT, CHANDRA SHEKHAR AZAD MEMORIAL, SAVAN- BHADON, HARDOL KI SAMADHI, BADI CHHATRIAN, RAI PRAVEEN MAHAL, KESHAV BHAVAN.
Palera: An important municipal town of Tikamgarh-Nowgaon road, at a distance of about 27 Km. from Jatara. Buses are available to reach this place. The town was originally given to Dharaman God, son of Bhagwan Rao, first chief of Datia. An annual fair held on the occasion of Ramnavmi.
Papora: It is an old village about 5 Km. south-east of Tikamgarh town. It is famous Jain pilgrimage centre which attracts large number of Jain devotees. The village contains about 80 old Jain temples. Few Jain temples are under construction. The famous Jain temples of twenty four Tirthakars is the main attraction of devotees. An important Jain fair, attended by 10,000 persons, held in the month of Kartika sudi Purnima. It is managed by the trust.
Prithvipur: The headquarter town of tehsil Prithvipur. The name of the town derived from Prithvi Singh . Near the town lies Radha Sagar Tank. The Important temples of the town are Somnath temple, Ramjanki temple and Atan ke Hanumanji . The town posses a fort.
Tikamgarh: Tikamgarh is the headquarter town of the district and tehsil of the same name. The earlier name of the town was 'Tehri' (i..e. a triangle) consisting of three hamlets, forming a rough triangle. In the Tikamgarh town there is muhalla still known as 'Purani Tehri' . Before independence, it was the headquarter toen of the erstwhile Orchha State. The name of 'Tehri' was changed to Tikamgarh in 1887, in the honour of Lord Krishna, as Tikam is one of the name of Lord Krishna.