Jind district is one of the districts of the state of Haryana with its headquarters at Jind town. The district lies in the North of Haryana between 29.03’ and 29.51’ North latitude & 75.53’ and 76.47’ East longitude. On its East and North-East lie the districts of Panipat, Karnal and Kaithal respectively. Its boundary line on the North forms the inter-state Haryana- Punjab border with Patiala and Sangurar districts of Punjab. In the West and South-West it has a common boundary with district Hisar & Fatehabad and in its South and South-East lies the district of Rohtak and Sonipat respectively. The area of the district is 3,606 square kilometers.
The district is divided into three Sub-Divisionns, Jind Safidon and Narwana. The Jind Sub-Division comprises two tahsils, viz. Jind and Julana. While the Narwana, Safidon Sub-Divisions comprises the Narwana & Safidon tahsil respectively .
Jind town has a Arjun stadium, milk plant, cattle feed plant, Bulbul restaurant and a large grain market. The region comprising the Jind district formed boundary of the holy region of Kurukshetra and as such many holy places connected with tradition or referred to in religious literature are located in the district. Many of these places are mentioned in the Mahabharta, the Vamana, the Narda and the Padma Purans.
Tradition assigns the settlement of the town to the Mahabharta period. According to the legend, the Pandavas built here a temple in honour of Jainti Devi(the goddess of victory) and offered prayers for success in their battle against the Kauravas. The town grew up around the temple and was named Jaintapuri) abode of Jainti Devi) which in course of time corrupted to Jind. The town grew up around the temple and was named Jaintapuri, (abode of Jainti Devi) which in course of time corrupted to Jind. Raja Gajpat Singh in 1755 seized a large tract of country including the present districts of Jind from the Afghan and made Jind the capital of the state in 1776. He made a fort here in 1775. Later, Sangrur was chosen as capital of Jind State by Raja Sangat Singh (1822 to 1834 AD).