Gurgaon district is one of the districts of the state of Haryana with its headquarters at Gurgaon city. Gurgaon city has a population of about 1,000,000 according to the 2001 census. Gurgaon is one of Delhi's four major satellite cities. Gurgaon district is situated in NCR of Delhi. It is just 10 kms away from Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi. The district derived its name from the name of Guru Dronacharya; the village was given as gurudakshina to him by his students; the Pandavas and hence it came to be known as Guru-gram, which in course of time got distorted to Gurgaon. Thus the district has been existence since the times of Mahabharata.
The present Gurgaon district comprising nine blocks Tauru, Nuh, Pataudi, Nagina, Punhana, F.P.Jhirka, Sohna, Gurgaon & Farrukhnagar was created on 15 August,1979. It is the southern-most district of Haryana. The district lies between 27 degree 39' and 28 degree 32' 25" latitude, and 76 degree 39' 30"and 77 degree 20' 45" longitude. On its north, it is bounded by the district of Rohtak and the Union Territory of Delhi.Faridabad district lies to its east. On its south, the distt. shares boundaries with the states of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. To its west lies the district of Rewari and the State of Rajasthan. Gurgaon town is about 32 kms away from New Delhi.
Because of its close proximity to Delhi and excellent infrastructure, Gurgaon has become one of the most important corporate and industrial hubs of India. The corporate office and manufacturing plant of India's largest car maker Maruti Udyog Limited is situated here, as are a large number other industries. The main manufacturing unit of Hero Honda is also situated in Gurgaon. Other areas in which Gurgaon is excelling are the Information Technology (IT) industry, Software development and Call Centers.
It is said that Yudhishtar, the eldest brother among the Pandavas, gave this village to his guru, Dronacharya, whose tank still exists on the west side of the Railway Road. Actual village "GURGAON" is about 1.5 km. away from Gurgaon town, where the temple of SHEETLA MATA, attracts devotees in large numbers on every Monday and Tuesday.
During Akbar's reign, the district fell within the subas of Delhi and Agra, and comprised, wholly or partly, the sikars of Delhi, Rewari, Suhar Pahari and Tijara. With the decay of the Mughal empire, it remained in a disturbed state as a consequence of fighting between the neighboring chiefs till 1803 AD when most of it came under the British rule through the Treaty of Surji Arjungaon with Sindhia. The town was first occupied by the cavalry unit posted to watch the army of Begum Samru of Sirdhana, whose principal cantonment was in the village Jharsa, 1.5 km. to the south-east of the town.
The civil offices were removed from Bharawas (tehsil Rewari) in 1821 AD, when the British frontier advanced through the acquisition of the Ajmer territory.
The district was divided into parganas by Britishes, various parganas were given to petty chiefs and granted as jagirs in lieu of military services rendered by them. These jagirs were gradually resumed and came under the direct management of the British; the last of the important changes took place in 1836 AD. There after, the district remained unchanged until the 1857 uprising. In 1858 AD It was transferred from the North Western Provinces to Punjab. In 1861, the district was rearranged into five tehsils Gurgaon, F.P.Jhirka, Nuh, Palwal & Rewari.
Dhankot: It lies 11 km west of Gurgaon on Gurgaon - Farrukhnagar Road. Tradition has it that milk was supplied from this place to Guru Dronacharya and his pupils at Gurugram (Gurgaon). It is also identified as Thullkottiha ( of the Buddhist literature) and was visited by Lord Buddha.
Saiyad: It lies 3 km west of Gurgaon on Gurgaon Dharampur Road. Traditionally, the site is believed to be the residential place of Guru Dronacharya and his pupils. The site has yielded Painted Grey Ware and late medieval remains.
Ata: It is situated 5 kms east of Sohna on Sohna Hathin Road. It had been an important center of art and architecture in the time of Gurjara-Pratiharas. Two beautiful icons-one representing Uma Maheshvara seated on Nandi of early medieval period and other representing Adinath of medieval period.
Malab: Situated 5 km south of Nuh on Gurgaon Alwar Road, the village contains one of the highest mounds in the region. A coin of Kanishka, some coins of late Kushanas and a number of coins of Muslim rulers have been found at the site.
Sanghel: It is situated 13 km east south of Nuh on Nuh Hodal Road. It is one the highest mounds in the district. It has yielded Painted Grey Ware, early historic wares and late medieval remains.
Ujina: It lies 10 km east of Nuh on Nuh Hodal Road. The village is known for its lake. The mound has yielded Painted Grey Ware and early historic wares. The stone sculptures located at the site represent Varaha and Nrsimha of medieval period, and Lakshmi of late medieval period.
Sultanpur Lake Bird Sanctuary: Ten Km from Gurgaon and 42 km from Delhi. It is a find of Peter Jackson, the world famous authority on bird watching. It was opened for tourists on 6th Feb. 1972. To this lonely and lovely retreat, flock the migrant birds from Europe and Siberia. These birds come here with the onset on winter and return when their colder homes have warmed up.