Morena is a district of Madhya Pradesh state in central India. The district is part of Chambal Division. The town of Morena is the district and divisional headquarters. The district has a widely dispersed population of about 150,0000 as of 2001. The town is mostly farmland, and trains are a popular form of transportation, although they connect only about 15% of the villages within Morena. Morena is famous for its mustard production.
Most of present-day Morena District formed Tonwarghar District of the erstwhile princely state of Gwalior. After India's independence in 1947, the princely states acceded to the Government of India, and Morena District acquired its present boundaries with the addition of the small princely estate of Pahargarh in the south of the district. Morena District became part of the new state of Madhya Bharat, which was merged into Madhya Pradesh in 1956.
Morena and Gwalior are the Railway stations on the Delhi-Mumbai railway line. The nearest Aerodrome from Morena headquarters of the Chambal division is Gwalior which is at a distance of 46 kms. from Morena. Morena, the headquarters of the Chambal division stands at the Agra-Bombay National Highway between Gwalior and Agra.
Sihonia (the capital of the Kachwahas): Sas-Bahu Abhilekh reflects that Suhoniya known as Sihoniya today was the capital of Kushwahas. The Kachwaha kingdom was established in the 11th century between 1015 to 1035 A.D. The Kachwaha king Kirtiraj got a "Shiv Temple erected at Sihoniya. This temple is known as the "Kakan Math" It stand on a spot two miles away from Sihoniya in the north west of Distt. Morena. It is said that Kakanmath was built by king KirtiRaj to fulfill the will of Queen Kakanwati. It is 115 ft. high and is built in the Kajurho style.
Jain Temples: Sihoniya is a holy place of the Jains. In the east of the village, there are the ruins of the Jain temples of the 11th century A.D. In these temples there are statues of the Tirthankars such as Shantinath, Kunthnath, Arahanath, Adinath, Parshvnath and others. The main temple has three statues : Shantinath, Kunthnath and Arhanath of 10 to 15 ft. in height. They are of 11th century A.D.
Kutwar: Kuntalpur known as Kutwar is the biggest ancient village of the Chambal valley. It is just like Hastinapur, Rajgraha and Chadi of the Mahabharat period. The ancient Amba or 'Harrisiddhi Devi' temple and a crescent shaped Dam erected on the river Asan are the beautiful visiting spots of Kutwar.
Padawali (Gupta Period): After Naga period, the Gupta empire was established in this area. The 'Gotra' of the emperors of the Gupta dynasty was 'Charan'. 'Gharon' village was inhabited near modern Padawali. Around Gharon there are the ruins of several temples, houses and colonies. This new area of population is known as Padawali because it is surrounded by several hills. Here was a magnificent ancient Vishnu Temple which was later converted into a big 'Garhi'. The terrace, the courtyard and the assembly hall of this temple are the 'epitome' of ancient culture. The standing statue of a Lion on the ruined gate seems to say that there was a time when he used to watch the temple with his companion at its gate. More than fifty monuments of different kinds can be seen at Padawali up to the valley of Bhuteshwar.
Mitawali: In the north of Naresar, there is a sixty four Yogini temple situated on the hundred feet high mountain. It is a wonderful circular construction of 170 feet radius on the style of Delhi's parliament house. Attached to circular verandah there are sixty four rooms and a big courtyard in the temple. In the centre of the temple there is the circular temple of Lord Shiva.
Pahargarh (Cave Paintings in the cave Shelters): Twelve miles away from Pahargarh in the south east there is a chain of 86 caves and cave shelters. They are said to be contemporary of cave shelters of 'Bhim Baitka' of Bhopal. In the beginning of civilisation people got shelter in these caves. Seeing the scene of men and women, birds and animals, hunting and dancing in the cave paintings it appears as if human art flourished in the valley of Chambal in the pre historic period and it searched undiminishing colours for its expression.
Likhichhaj: Amongst many cave shelters on the banks of river Asan there is Likhichhaj which has remained a centre of attraction for a very long period. Likhichhaj means a hill bending onward like a balcony. In its natural pillarless verandah there are many pictures drawn in the mixed colours of geru and khariya. Neechta, Kundighat, Baradeh, Ranideh, Khajura, Keetya, Siddhawali and Hawamahal are other worth visiting caves or cave shelters.
Nareshwar-Norar: Jaleshwar of 8 th to 12th century is Norar of today. Here many temples were built. Out of them twenty one temples are still standing on three sides of the mountain. In them Jhankies in the style of pratihar Nagar, and rapid have been exhibited. On the mountain there is a rare tank with stairs which supplies water to all of them. The tank has been made by cutting out the rocks of the mountain. There are some statues of different deities.
Nurabad (The Monuments of Mughal Period): In 1527 A.D. this area came under the control of mughal emperor Babar. Noorabad was founded in the times of Jahangir, the grandson of Babar. The �Phizi Saraya� in the name of �Saraya Chhola� and the bridge over the river Kuwari near Piparsa were built by Motimad Khan the sardar of Aurangzeb in the mughal period. The fort like the saray of Noorabad the bridge over the Sank with minerates and the artistic tomb of Gona Begum, the widow of Gyasuddin, the wagir of Alamgir constructed behind the saray are worth visiting. They were famous for their beauty and poetic expression.
The Fort Of Sabalgarh: Amongst the monuments of the medieval age the fort of sabalgarh is worth visiting. The beautiful �Bandh� built behind the fort in the Scindia period has made the whole scene most fascinating. The foundation of Sabalgarh was laid by a �Gujar� named Sabla in the past. Construction of the fort on a somewhat high cliff was made by Gopal Singh, the Raja of Karoli. Sikandar Lodhi sent a big army to hold control over this strongly built fort. The Marathas in their campaign of northern India again won it and gave it back to the king of Karoli. But in the year 1795 A.D. it was again snatched away from him by Khande Rao whose big house still stands there. During the regime of Lord Vallejali Daulat Rao Scindia (1764-1837) lived in this fort of Gwalior. It was seized by the English in the year 1804-5. In 1809 the area around this fort was added in the kingdom of Scindia.