Rewari district is one of the districts of the state of Haryana with headquarters at Riwari town. Rewari became a district on November, 1, 1989. Its geographical boundaries have district Rohtak in its north, Mahendergarh district in its west and district Gurgaon in its east & north-east directions. District Alwar of Rajasthan touches Rewari in the south-east. Prior to it, Rewari was a Sub-division and Tehsil head quarter of district Mahendergarh. Rewari town is located at 82 km in the south-west direction from Delhi across the Delhi Jaipur National Highway No. 8.
Due to its proximity to Delhi and location on the Delhi-Jaipur national highway, Rewari has developed rapidly as an industrial hub. The district's economy has developed mainly around the Dharuhera Complex, Rewari Complex and the Bawal Growth Centre. The second manufacturing plant of Hero Honda Motors Limited, (the world's largest producer of two wheelers), is situated in the Dharuhera Industrial Area. Other major companies present in the district are Space Age India Ltd., Indo Nission Foods Ltd., Sony India Ltd., G.K. Invel Transmission Ltd., Pasupati Spining & Weaving Mills Ltd., Asahi India Safety Glass Ltd., Backton & Dickinson Ltd., and Svedala India Ltd.
The History of the district Rewari is contemporary to the history of Delhi. During MAHABHARTA period there was a king named Rewat He had a daughter whose name was Rewati. But the king used to call her Rewa lovingly. The king founded and established a city named “Rewa wadi” after the name of her daughter. Later on Rewa got married with Balram, elder brother of Lord Krishna and the king donated the city “Rewa wadi”as dow ry to her daughter. Later the city Rewa wadi became REWARI.
During the rule of Mughlas a “VANIK” named Hemu of Rewari became chief of Army and Prime minister of SOOR-SAMRAJYA. On decay of this SAMRAJYA he became ruler of Delhi and known by the name “HEM CHANDER VIKRMADITYA”. He could rule for very short period and sacrificed his life on Nov. 5, 1556 in the second battle of Panipat while fighting against Mughlas.
During the rule of Mughal Rewari was the part of Delhi territory. In the SAVTANTRTA-SANGRAM of 1857 “Rao Tula Ram & Krishan Gopal “ of Rewari fought aggressively against the British rule with the help of “Samrat Bahadur Shah Zafar” and there was a movement when they brought the British rule to an end in Rewari. But Rao Tula Ram could not succeed and he expired after some time. The land of Rewari is called “VEER-BHUMI”. Even today the people of Rewari feel proud to serve in Indian Armies.
The red mosque (Lal Masjid): near the old courts (Kchahari) is among the famous historical places in the district. It was built during the regime of King Akbar in the year 1570. Also there are two monuments near the mosque.
BAAG WALA TALAB: This pond is situated near old tehsil office Rewari. It was built by Ram Ahir son of Rao Gujjarmal. Presently this pond is dry.
BADA TALAB (RAO TEJ SINGH TALAB): This pond is situated near old Town Hall of Rewari. It was built (pakka-cemented) by Rao Tej Singh during the year 1810-1815. This huge pond is filled by rain/cannal water thru underground inlets. This talab had provision for separate bathing for ladies and gents.
The GHANTESHWAR MANDIR: is among the famous religios places in the district. It is situated in the heart of city. The statues of all gods & goddess of “SANATAN DHARMA” are eastablished in the temple. It is three storied temple. A majority of citizens come to this temple for prayers. A famus temple of lord HANUMAN is situated on the bank of bada talab, this temple is visited by large numbers every tuesday. There are two church in the city since the time of British.