Ranchi is the capital of
Jharkhand. As a part of Bihar,
it used to be the summer capital due to its cooler weather.
Ranchi was the center of the Jharkhand movement for a separate state for the tribal regions
of south Bihar.
Ranchi is also an important industrial center. Main industrial establishments include
Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC), SAIL's R&D Center, MECON, etc.
Along with other two industrial townships of Jamshedpur and Bokaro,
it completes the industrial structure of Jharkhand.
Another dubious distinction of Ranchi is that it has one of the largest facility for
mentally-ill patients at Kanke.
Ranchi has many famous educational institutes
- St. Xavier's College: Established in 1940s, its one of the premier centers of higher education in the state.
- Xavier Institute of Social Service
- Ranchi University
- Rajendra Medical College Hospital
- St. John's High School: Established in 1885, its one of oldest schools in the state
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Lala laj pat rai bal mandir
- Heavy Engineering Corporation
- SAIL's R&D Facility
- Dassam Falls - About 40 km from Ranchi on Tata Road
- Jonha Falls - About 18 km from Ranchi
- Hundru Falls - 28 km from Ranchi
- Ranchi Hill - Health and Holiday Resort
- Jagannathpur Temple - Built in the architectural style of Puri temples