Ernakulam is a city adjoining to old Kochi city.
It is also the name of one of fourteen districts in the Kerala.
Ernakulam district was formed on 1 April, 1958 with the Aluva, Kunnathunadu, Kochi, Kanayannur,
Paravoor Taluks which was with Thrissur district. When Idukki district was formed on 26 January 1977,
Thodupuzha taluk was joined with Idukki and Muvattupuzha taluk separated with to form Kothamangalam
taluk. Earlier the district headquarters was in Ernakulam city and hence the name.
From ancient times Arabs, Chinese, Dutch, British and Portuguese seafarers followed the sea
route to Cochin and left their impressions in the town. The word Ernakulam was drawn from a
Tamil word Erayanarkulam means abode of Lord Shiva's. The present Ernakulam District include
Paravur, Aluva, Kochi, Kanayannoor, Muvattupuzha, Kunnathunadu, Kothamangalam Taluks which come
under Fortkochi and Muvattupuzha Revenue Sub Division. Prior to the formation of Idukki District,
Thodupuzha Taluk was also a part of Ernakulam District.
The District which has an area of 895 km² can be divided geographically as highland,
midland and coastal area. The altitude of highland is about 300 m. The borders of the district
are the Arabian Sea in the West, Thrissur District in the North, Idukki District in the East
and Alappuzha and Kottayam District in the South. Periyar, Kerala's second largest river flows
through all the Taluks except Muvattupuzha. Muvattupuzha river and a branch of Chalakkudy
river all gifts of this District. As there are rivers, lakes and seas the region has a
moderate climate. Many types of sands and soil and also rocks which are geological importance
is abundant here.
- Head Quarters : Kochi (Kakkanad)
- Area : 2407 km²
- Population (2001) : 2,589,038
- Language : Malayalam, the youngest in the Dravidian family. It is the official language of the State of Kerala. English is widely used in business circles.
- Religion : Hindus account for the largest community followed by Christians and Muslims. Cochin has also a small population of Jains, Jews, and Sikhs.
- Average rainfall (yearly) : 3432 mm
- Temperature : between 31 and 26 °C
Travel & tourism
Major tourist & pilgrim centres of Ernakulam district
- Bolgatty Island : has a palace built by the Dutch in 1744,
and a golf course.
- Willington Island: Formed from the sand deposited when Cochin Port was deepened,
Willington Island has a naval base, a railway terminus, a port, and customs offices.
- Chinese Fishing Nets : can be seen at Fort Cochin.
- Parikshith Museum : Museum with memories of 19th century.
- Dutch Palace : Made in 1568 by the Portuguese. Later re-structured by the Dutch.
- Hill Palace Museum : at Thrippunithara. Paintings, Epigraphy, furnitures of the royal family etc are displayed.
- Kodanadu : Elephant training centre is located here.
- Kerala Historical Museum : Located at Edappalli, on the Aluva-Ernakulam road.
- St Francis Church : First church constructed by the Portuguese in India. Located at Fort Cochin.
- Roman Catholic Church : Has beautiful paintings. Located near the St Francis Church.
- Jewish Synagogue: Made in 1568 at Mattupetty. Chinese ceramics and old testament are attractions here.
- Sree Sankaracharya Ashram : Located at Kaladi, 45 km away from Cochin.
- Malayattoor Church : Church constructed in memory of the visit of St Thomas.
Every year thousands of believers visit here, mainly during the Easter season.
- Chottanikkara Temple : Located near Thrippunithara.
- Jaina Temple : 13 km away from Perumbavoor.