Dhubri

Dhubri District - the gateway of western Assam happened to be in the past a meeting place of different racial groups which mingled together and formed a unique Cultural Heritage and Historical Background. The growth of blended culture in this region particularly in case of Language, Art and Religion is due to continuous process of assimilation of various races,scaste & creed of local people,invaders & migrated people.Dhubri District is bounded both by inter-state and international border i.e. West Bengal and Bangladesh in the west, Goalpara and Bogaigoan district of Assam and Garo Hills district of Meghalaya in the east, Kokrajhar district in the north, Bangladesh and state of Meghalaya in the south.Covering an area of 2,838 Sq. Kms. including forests, riverines, hills etc. the district has become the most densely populated district in India with a density of 584 persons per Sq. Km.(As per 2001 census).

Dhubri District is bounded both by inter-state and international border i.e. West Bengal and Bangladesh in the west, Goalpara and Bogaigoan district of Assam and Garo Hills district of Meghalaya in the east, Kokrajhar district in the north, Bangladesh and state of Meghalaya in the south.

This district is located on the globe between 89.42 to 90.12 degree east longitude and 26.22 to 25.28 degree north latitude. The district is situated at 30 meters abovethe sea level on average. General topography of Dhubri district is plain with patches of small hillocks like Tokorabandha, Dudhnath, Chandardinga, Boukumari, Boropahar, Chakrasila etc. All these are situated in the north eastern part of the district. Mighty river Brahmaputra is flowing through this district from east to west with its tributaries like Champabati, Gourang, Gadadhar, Gangadhar, Tipkai, Sankosh,Silai, Jinjiram etc.

HISTORY

Assam starts with its south western boundary with the District Dhubri. The present Dhubri District is one of the three Civil Sub-divisions of erst-whileGoalpara district, established in 1876 during British regime. In 1879 the District head quarter was shifted from Goalpara to Dhubri. In the year 1983 Goalpara district was divided into four separate districts and Dhubri is one of those.Covering an area of 2,838 Sq. Kms. including forests, riverines,hills etc. the district has become the most densely populated district in India with a density of 584 persons per sq.Km.(As per 2001 census).

Agriculture is the main livelihood for majority of the people of the district. As per 1991 census reports,73.21% of the total workforce has taken agro-based activities as means of livelihood. The principal crops are Autumn paddy, Winter paddy, Mustard, Rape seeds,Wheat and Jute.Other than agriculture,a small portion of work-force is engaged in live- stock, forestry, fishery etc., while a very small number is engaged in mining & quarry and in manufacturing and processing units. Dhubri district is considered to be the most industrially backward pdistrict of Assam. The Agricultural as well as natural resource is not satisfactorily exploited for industrial purpose. However, the district could attain an appreciable grade qualitatively in the sphere of Handicraft, such as Terracotta, Pith Crafts, Cane & Bamboo Crafts, Weaving, Jute Crafts etc. With the backwardness in literacy and in absence of rich-industrial infrastructure the general socio-economic condition of the district is very poor. The economic growth rate of population multiplied by influx problem from across the border is causing severe pressure on agricultural land holding.

Rupshi-airport is situated about 15 pkm away from Dhubri which was constructed during last World WarII by the British Govt. exclusively for millitary operation.Number of private companies operated regular flights (Decota) carrying passengers as well as goods between Calcutta/Dhubri via Jalpaiguri/Coochbehar (West Bengal) after Independence.The Indian-Airlines also operated regular air flights between Calcutta/Dhubri. At present the Airport is under the National Airport Authority of India and lying unused.

Dhubri Dist. also withnessed the glorious visit of many of the historical personalities like - Guru Nanaka, Srimanta Sankardeva, Guru Teg Bahadur, Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Gopinath Bordoloi and others.



TheDhubri Town had a very busy river port on the bank of the river Brahmaputra which was used as an international trade centre with the neighbouring countries. At present, this port is lying idle. Though the town is connected with railway lines, its importance was decreased when direct line to Calcutta was snapped after partition as the line ran through the erst-while East Pakistan (presently Bangladesh).The present

Dhubri Town was first constituted as a Municipality in 1883. The Dhubri Town is 290km far from the StateCapital at Dispur.The Bench mark ofthe town is about 34 mts. above sea level.

PLACES OF INTEREST

Mahamaya Dham: Mahamaya Dham of Bogribari, about 30-35 Km.east from Dhubri town is next to Kamakhya Than (Guwahati) and Madan-Mohan (Cooch Behar) in its attraction to the pilgrims and tourists. Originaly the famous mother Goddess Mahamaya of Parvatjowar was worshipped by the local people like Kacharies, Koches and Nath etc. It was the presiding deity of the Jaminder of Parvatjowar. Now-a-days the mother Mahamaya is worshipped by all Hindus.

Rangamati Mosque: The very famous Rangamati Mosque was built during 17th century by Hussain Shah, the Governor of Bengal.This Mosque belongs to pre-Mughal period which can be recognised from its typical architectural design. It is about 25Kms away from Dhubri Town. It may be mentioned that Rangamati area was once a very prosperous during thereign of the Koch rulers.It was also frontier post of the Koch rulers. During Mughal regime Rangamati was a great fort of the invading Mughal Army. This unique Mosque was used as a prayer place by the Mohmmedan Soldiers. There is also a Idgah and a deep Well which were also constructed during the same period.

udwara Sri Guru Tegbahadur Sahibji: In the heart of the Dhubri Town and on the bank of the river mighty Brahmaputra, this famous Gurudwara is situated. Sikh Guru Nanaka visited this place in 1505 A.D. & met Sri Sankardeva during Nanaka's way from Dhaka to Assam. Thereafter the 9th Guru Tegbahadur came to this place and established this Gurudwara during 17th century. Sikh devotees from all over India and abroad assembled in this Gurudwara pevery year in the month of December to mark the Martydom of Sri Guru Tegbahadur with due solemnity and ceremony. Sikh devotees called this festival as Sahidee-Guru-Parav.

Panchpeer Dargaha: It is Mazar Sharif of five Sufi Saints who accompanied Raja Ram Singh during his time of invassion to Assam.This Dargaha is the best example of religious harmony where all section of people irrespective of their religion pay visit with great respect.

Chakrasila Wildlife Sanctuary: In the year 1994, Chakrasila Hill Reserve Forest was declared as Chakrasila Hill Wildlife Sanctuary by the Govt.of India covering an area of 4558.7 hectares of land. The distribution of varities of plant species in Chakrasila provides diverse niches for many Wild Life. The Significant Golden Langur exists in Chakrasila Wildlife Sanctuary in addition to other mammals plike Leopard, Leopard cat, Porcupine, Pangoline, Flying Squirrel, Civet cat etc.Adjutants Stork, Indian Owl, Myna, Parrakit, Dove, Hornbil, Jungle Fowl, Kingfisher, Harren, Darter, Snipe, Teal etc. are the birds commonly found. Python, Monitor, Crait, Cobra, Turtle, Tead and frog are some reptiles and amphibia that are also found.

Florican Garden: A newly setup garden cum natural park located at Bilasipara about 50 Km from Dhubri Town. It is a very attractive tourist place.

Mandals of Dhubri
  1. Agomoni
  2. Bilasipara
  3. Bising Jarua
  4. Chapor Salkocha
  5. Debi Tola
  6. Fekamari Block
  7. Gauripur
  8. Golokganj
  9. Jamadar Hat
  10. Mahamaya Block
  11. Mankachar
  12. Nayer Alga
  13. Rupsi
  14. South Salmara