Tirap

Tirap District derives its name from the river Tirap which originates in the district and flows through Changlang District of Arunachal Pradesh. The entire area of Tirap District is covered with high hills and deep gorges. There is hardly a few plots of plain land in the villages lying close to the plains of Assam.

Tirap District lies between the latitude 26 38 N and 27 47 N and the longitude 96 16 E and 95 40 E. The total area of the district is situated in a peculiar geographical setting bounded towards south of Myanmar. In the north there is the state of Assam and in the west, it is bounded by the state of Nagaland and on the east by Changlang District of Arunachal Pradesh.

The major portion of the people inhabiting the district is the tribal group which constitutes 80% of the total district population. The major tribes inhabiting in the district are the Nocte, Wancho and Tutsa. Most of the people live in the villages. They are ever willing to share their problems and cooperative in nature. Most of them earn their livelihood through farming and allied activities such as govt. employment, govt. contract works, contract work in forest products, trade in local products, agricultural labour etc.

HISTORY

Since time in memorial, Tirap has been inhabited by ancestors of the indigenious tribes. Tribes such as the Nocte came to settle in the area during the 16th century, at the time of reign of the Ahoms. The Japanese troops invaded and controlled the area for a brief period in 1945, until the collapse of the Japanese empire.

Of late, Tirap has also been a major target for the NSCN, a Naga rebel group who aims to convert the local tribals to Christianity and the creation of Greater Nagaland, using military force. It is also said that Baptist missionaries subtly supports these rebel groups.



PLACES OF INTEREST

NAMSANG BORDURIA FOREST : The Namsang Borduria Forest was a private forest owned by the chiefs of Namsang and Borduria. In 1948, the government entered into an agreement with the two chiefs to take over their forest for 50 years for management by the government. In 1962, these forests were constituted as village forest as well as reserve forest covering an area of 147.42 sq. km. (Namsang - 108.88 sq. km. & Borduria - 38.64 sq. km.). In accordance with the provisions of the agreement rules were made in 1967 for administration of fund raised from the revenue collected from these forests. The Deputy Commissioner, Tirap District and PCCF, Arunachal Pradesh are authorised to act as trustees of the chiefs and the people of Namsang and Borduria. A development committee was formed for utilisation of fund for the welfare of the local people of the district. The fund is utilised for various schemes to promote social, cultural economy and education of the local people. The residential schools like Ramakrishna Sarda Mission Girls School at Khonsa, Ramakrishna Mission School at Deomali and weaving centres at Borduria, Khonsa, Doidam and Lazu are finaced by this fund. Another remarkable scheme being finaced by NBF is the establishment of NBF trust hospital at Pullong.