Lower Subansiri

Lower Subansiri District covers approximately an area of 10,135 Sq.km. The topography of the District is mostly mountainous terrain, where the Hill Ranges varies approximately from 1000 to 1600 metres above sea level. A greater part of it falls within the Higher mountain zone consisting of tangled peaks and valleys. Nature has gifted the heart land of the District in the form of magnificent plateau at about 1564 metres above sea level, where District Headquarter, Ziro is located.

The forest of the District are rich in valuable species of trees and different varieties of shrubs, cane and bamboo grow plenty, and the exquisite floral treasures of wilder species may often be found in the shadowy recesses of the Forest. The Forest of the District has got great economic values and various types of wild game. The District is also rich in wild fauna such as tigers, panthers, leopard, cats, bear, boars, antelopes and barking deer etc. beautify this nature’s Zoological Garden.

One of the main river of this District is Kamala. The origins of the river is from snow ranges of China(Tibet), which flows towards South-East and meets the Subansiri river at Raga Circle. The Subansiri river, at one time was famous for its gold dust flows through the District and leaving the District at Dollungmukh Circle. It ultimately joins the mightly Brahmaputra in plain of Assam. Khru, Panior, Kime, Panya, Selu, Pugo, Persen, Rein Sipu, Pange, Kiile etc. river are also worth mentioning.

HISTORY

The name of the District is derived from the Subansiri River, a tributary of Mighty Brahmaputra, that flows through Raga Circle of this District. Till 1914, the District was a part of Lakhimpur District of Assam. By the Government of India Notification of 1914, the area covered by this District became a part of Lakhimpur Frontier Tract of the “North East Frontier Tract”. In March, 1919, by another public Notification, the Lakhimpur Frotier Tract along with Western sector was renamed as the “Balipara Frontier Tract”.

In 1946, the District area was curved out of the Balipara Frontier Tract in the name of “Subansiri Area” with its Headquarter at North Lakhimpur. In 1954, Subansiri Area was renamed as the “Subansiri Frontier Division” and its Headquarter was later transferred to Ziro. Like other parts of NEFA, the District was also under the Ministry of External Affairs and over-all Incharge was a Political Officer.

On 1st September, 1965, the Ministry of Home Affairs took over the Administrative charge of NEFA from the Ministry of External Affairs, and the Subansiri Frontier Division was renamed as Subansiri District, and Political Officer was redesignated as Deputy Commissioner, Addl.Political Officer as Addl. Deputy Commissioner, Assistant Political Officer(I) as Assistant Commissioner, Assistant Political Officer(II) as Extra Assistant Commissioner and Base Superintendent as Circle Officer respectively.

On 13th May’1980, Subansiri District was bifurcated into Lower and Upper Subansiri District. Upper Subansiri District was formed by covering the area of the then Daporijo Sub-Division, and rest of the area of erstwhile Subansiri District was placed under Lower Subansiri. Finally on the 22nd September, 1992, Lower Subansiri District was again bifurcated, and Papumpare District was formed.